What is activism?
Efforts that fundamentally promotes, impedes, or directs social, political, economic, or environmental change.
What has activism given us?
- Civil Rights
- Women’s Rights
- Worker Rights
Activist are people who
- recognize that there is something wrong with the world, and
- work to change the world for the better.
Activists can focus on many different issues or “causes,” use many different tactics or strategies, and come from any background or experience level.
Activists start with a goal and develop a strategy for how to reach it. There are many tools in the toolbox to apply in the strategy and achieve the goal. Each tool for each “tactic” has a goal as well that forwards you to the greater goal.
Activism does not necessarily feel good – that’s not why we do it. That’s why we need to practice SELF CARE. It’s persistent efforts to change the world – and that can be a pain in the booty. It’s a balance.
Activism can come in many forms including:
- Making Art! That can speak to the issues and talk to people
- Making space for the community talk about stuff and collectively make decisions, like a people’s assembly
- Sharing information through Social Media
- Starting a Cooperative
- Joining and working with an Organization, group
- Take notes at a meeting
- Creating educational resources
- Hosting a training/skill share
- And more!
To begin to get involved in activism, it might help to ask yourself some questions:
- What hurts or irks me the most about the way the world is now? What would I change if I could?
- What could be an alternative situation or solution to this problem? What would a better world look like?
- What might have to happen in order to fix the problem(s) I see?
- What might be some steps I could take toward making these things happen? What could I do personally?
If you are not sure where to start or what to do, don’t worry! Again, the most important thing is the will to start. We need your unique input, passion, and dedications! But if you’d like, here are some suggestions:
- Go to an event
- Check out our Activist calendar!
- Come to an Activist Meet and Greets! It happens every last Thursday of the month (except Nov-Dec)
- Join an group!
- Visit our activist directory to discover a new group
- Grow your knowledge by reading and listening to independent media
- Listen to WRFG 89.3fm
- you have something to offer
- you are enough
- learning is needed but it’s a process
- we’re be happy to have you
- you don’t need a degree
- we need you!!!