The Hygiene Kit Making event will take place at noon on July, 26th at Rollins School of Public Health in Atlanta and will serve as a supply collection site until then.
For more information: https://actionnetwork.org/events/hygiene-making-kit-at-rollins-school-of-public-health/
You’ve likely seen recent news about the horrific conditions and treatment of children and other refugees in U.S. ICE detention centers. Our government is tearing families apart, putting children in cages, and denying them basic necessities like soap and toothpaste!
While there isn’t a way we know of to get donations of items like soap directly to people in detention, the Georgia Alliance for Social Justice (GAFSJ) is organizing support for families of those in ICE custody here in Georgia.
Please join this month-long event Ayudamos, translated: We help.
Through July 27th, all over Georgia, GAFSJ will be collecting clothing and hygiene kits for El Refugio, who provide support to men in ICE custody at the Stewart Detention Center in Lumpkin, GA and their visiting families. They have been separated from their families. Their families are struggling due to the loss of income and legal expenses. When the men are released to gain asylum or be deported, they typically leave with nothing.
On July 27th, we will all convene upon the designated drop off site for El Refugio in Avondale Estates, GA to deliver all of the collected items. (More drop off sites can be added outside of Metro Atlanta if needed, please email email@example.com to inquire).
How can you help?
1) Donate and volunteer We’ve compiled a list of organizations both here in Georgia and at the border. Click here and get involved NOW! https://tinyurl.com/y5zhz6wp Know of an organization doing the work that is missing from the list? Submit suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org Check this list often for updates
2) Advocate! Call your member of congress every day and demand an end to the inhumane incarceration of innocent immigrants and refugees
3) Host a supply drive! Coordinate collection of the requested items, sort and organize items, and ensure they are delivered to a drop-off point in Avondale Estates in DeKalb County.
4) Host a hygiene kit making event or party! Ask attendees to sign up to bring specific items and get together to make hygiene kits. And then deliver the hygiene kits on July 27th.
5) Volunteer for a supply drive or hygiene kit making event near you! Donate requested items at a site near you or assist with packaging hygiene kits.
Click on “Host an Event” for more details about hosting a supply drive or hygiene kit making event, or enter your zip code to find a hosted location near you!