NOTE: this event is *sold out* but we are planning to stream it live on our Facebook page, so you’ll be able to view it there (and the video will be archived).
City of Atlanta residents have expressed frustration over continued tax breaks for developments within an urban environment that is already attracting development on its own. What’s the purpose of an economic development authority, and how does its mission change based on the context in which it’s working? What kind of priorities should the City of Atlanta set for development and business recruitment during a period of increased population growth?
Featured Panelists and Moderator:
• Brian McGowan, CEO, Greater Seattle Partners
• Anna Foote, Regional Director, On The Rise Financial Center
• Julian Bene, Principle, Julian Bene & Associates
• Fred Smith, Professor of Local Government and Constitutional Law
• Moderator King Williams, writer and journalist
Invest Atlanta and the City of Atlanta are in the middle of contract negotiations, so the timing to review IA’s mission and priorities is ideal. This panel conversation will provide an overview of how economic development authorities and tax incentives work to draw development to a specific area, Atlanta’s history with these tools, and opportunities to use these tools to build a more equitable city.